Alentejo Villa is a beautifully designed holiday home rental with a stunning pool in the heart of unspoiled Alentejo.
Enjoy spectacular ocean sunsets and extended views all the way to the Serra da Arrábida coastline.
How would you describe Comporta Villa in a nutshell?
Comporta Villa is an architecturally designed house that was conceived for families looking to enjoy their holidays with all the comforts of home.
What is the story behind Comporta Villa, what was your inspiration to create it?
We began this dream in 2017 when we first saw the plot and our son was very little. Four years and two more children later, the five of us now spend dinners marvelling at the beauty of the sunset and the Serra da Arrábida coastline.
How would you describe the atmosphere, the architecture and the interior design?
Designed by Portuguese architect João Pedro Falcão de Campos, the villa features panoramic windows and modern, minimalist interiors. On one side, large glass windows open onto a suspended terrace that overlooks the rural fields. Here you can enjoy spectacular ocean sunsets and extended views all the way to the Serra da Arrábida coastline.
On the other side, nestled between the villa and pine-fringed sand dunes, is a totally private, heated swimming pool. It is surrounded by a decked terrace where you can chill out and dine alfresco.
This design villa has been conceived for small families, with all of the windows and doors featuring child-safe locks. It has three suites, plus a mezzanine level where an extra guest can stay. From the bathtub of the master suite, you can enjoy the wonderful sunsets that Comporta is famous for after a “tough” day at the beach! All of the bedrooms have access to the suspended terrace while the dining room opens both ways, connecting to the pool deck and the suspended terrace.
As well as extensive use of Riga wood, other stylish design features include Spanish chairs and J39 dining chairs from Fredericia, an extra soft sofa from Living Divani and lighting from Davide Groppi and Flos. The kitchen is fully equipped with Miele and Smeg appliances while the beds and filmmaker chairs are designed by Álvaro Siza Vieira. A special local touch is the honesty bar’s “wine and olive oil selection” featuring produce from the Douro and Alentejo regions.
The property is suitable for vacation rentals all year round and is equipped with central heating/air conditioning, ceiling fans in the bedrooms and underfloor heating in the bathrooms. There is also a feature fireplace in the living room.
To you personally, what is so special about Comporta Villa?
Comporta is a charming village in the Alentejo region of Portugal that is increasingly sought after by those who want a vacation where relaxation is a high priority. With its magnificent landscapes, miles and miles of white sandy beaches, pine forests and bird-filled rice fields, Comporta is praised for its slow living.
What do you particularly like about this part of the Alentejo?
When driving through the countryside, you rattle along gravel and dirt roads that run over dry, cork tree-studded hills, with many showing their freshly peeled bark, bright as a tangerine. The air is hot and still. You pass by small farms with neat vegetable gardens and watermelons as big as pillows that spill from beneath green vines. It feels as though you are deep in the Portuguese interior and transported to another time. But just a few miles away and visible from the occasional peak is the vivid blue of the Atlantic Ocean.
As you head towards the sea, the car is soon twisting along dust-covered tracks, with the ocean coming nearer until it dominates your view. When you cut the engine, you can hear the roar of the waves thundering onto the beach below. On foot, you wind through canyons of colourful sandstone – gold, orange and cream – before emerging onto an uninhabited white beach that extends for miles in either direction. Ancient rocks appearing like weatherworn cathedrals stand guard above the pristine shore. It’s hard to believe we are so close to Lisbon and even closer to the buzz of Comporta.
Set across 330 square metres, the house can comfortably accommodate up to seven people in its three suites and mezzanine space. It boasts a large kitchen equipped with Miele appliances, an honesty bar and a wine cooler, as well as a big living room and both interior and outdoor dining tables.
• Garage, laundry/domestic offices, bike storage
• Steps lead up from the road to a large, decked pool terrace with an outdoor dining area. There is also a pathway leading from the beach up to the same terrace. • Pool shower/guest WC with both indoor and outdoor access. • Master suite with an ensuite bathroom and bathtub overlooking the mountain and flood plains. • Fully equipped Miele/Smeg kitchen with a central island bench. • Dining room opening to both the suspended terrace and the outdoor dining terrace. • Living/TV room with an open fireplace and Apple TV. • Twin/double suite with an ensuite bathroom and a mezzanine with a single bed. • Double suite with an ensuite bathroom.
• Hairdryers and dressing gowns. • Baby cot (w/linen) and high chair on request. • Central heating/air conditioning is included and the bedrooms are fitted with ceiling fans. There is underfloor heating in the bathrooms. • Cable and Apple TV (Samsung Serif TV). • Free 5G WiFi is available throughout the property. • The kitchen includes an electric oven and stovetop, microwave, toaster, kettle, blender, juice maker, coffee maker, fridge/freezer, wine cooler and dishwasher. • The swimming pool is 12 x 4.8 metres and features roman steps, with the shallow end 1.1 metres in depth and descending to 3 metres. The pool is heated during the summer and guests are provided with a poolside shade, sun loungers and towels. • There are two adult bikes available for guests to use.
• Meet and greet plus daily housekeeping (Mondays to Saturdays). • Garden and pool maintenance once a week. • Bedroom and bathroom linen are changed once a week. • A basic welcome hamper is supplied on arrival. This includes drinking water, wine, milk, coffee, tea, bread, honey, sugar, salt & pepper, local cheese and seasonal fruit. • Guests are provided with soaps and lavatory paper, essential cleaning products such as washing up liquid, dishwasher and washing machine detergents, spare electrical bulbs, candles and matches and mosquito repellent gadgets.
Extra services (charged separately)
• An honesty bar stocked with wines and olive oils. • BBQ. • Extra cleaning/personal laundry. • Cook service. • Pre-arrival food shopping. • Babysitting. • Extra bikes can be hired locally and dropped off at the villa.
You can go horse riding through the dunes and rice fields with the team at Cavalos na Areia, then onto the beach and into the ocean. Alternatively, they also rent bicycles and kayaks to explore the area. The Imagine Surf School is located on Praia do Pego, which is the ideal place to take surf lessons, either privately or in a group.
Yoga and meditation sessions are available in the rice fields at Yoga Shala while Troia Golf (one of Portugal’s most challenging golf courses) is 20 minutes away. Set across six hectares, this 18-hole, par-72 course offers magnificent views across the ocean and Arrábida Mountain.
If you’re into bird watching, you can take a boat trip along the Sado estuary to spot flamingos and other species. Dolphin-watching catamaran trips are also available along the beautiful coast of Arrábida from the Troia marina. History buffs can travel back in time to explore the ruins of the Roman Empire’s largest fish-salting site on Acala Island, which was occupied until the 6th century AD.
Quinta do Quetzal is 1.5 hours drive from Comporta and is located en route to picturesque Monsaraz. It features a winery and an art gallery owned by Dutch collectors. Also 90 minutes away is Herdade do Freixo, a winery that is built entirely underground amidst 300 hectares of Alentejo’s purest landscapes. Their ambition is to build an unrivaled project featuring wine of unquestionable quality.
Further afield is UNESCO-listed Évora and the medieval walled village of Monsaraz.
Comporta Villa is surrounded by rice fields and is just five minutes’ walk from Pego Beach. Along the coastline is a diverse array of other beaches that will appeal to all tastes. Lisbon and Humberto Delgado International Airport are both just over an hour away. UNESCO World Heritage-listed Evora is roughly 1.5 hours drive inland.
Sal Restaurant at Pego Beach is a five-minute walk from the villa and was awarded the title of “World’s Best Beach Restaurant” by Conde Nast Traveller in 2021. There is a Mini supermarket located in Carvalhal village, which is two minutes away by car.
Summer and spring are the best times to visit but it is also nice in the winter if you are looking to relax and enjoy the time passing slowly in comfort. Comporta Villa is ideal throughout the year for those who are looking to work remotely as it offers all of the conditions needed to perform well in a relaxing environment.
Your contact details will allow you to message or book a property in the guest area. Sunshine awaits!
Already registered? Log in